Most historic buildings were not originally designed to accommodate people with disabilities. Providing access (interior and exterior) for persons with disabilities in ways that preserve the character of the historic property is a challenge that requires creativity and collaboration.
As we seek to make improvements to the built environment, we are focusing our attention on providing digital and print images for physically inaccessible spaces and increasing outdoor interpretive programming. Please contact us for more details.
Our site currently consists of:
- The museum can be reached via two roads: Peter McDonald Rd (requires navigating a wooded path, crossing a bridge and a staircase) and Matheson Brook Rd (a wide and firm but fairly steep gravel driveway).
- Designated accessible parking
- Accessible washroom
- The historic building has a small ramp leading into the building.
- The main floor of this historic building allows for access using mobility devices although fixed machinery creates some narrow spaces.
- The lower and upper floors are only accessible via wooden staircases. Digital pictures of these areas are available, and staff are on hand to share stories and answer questions.
- Seating is available on the property.
- The Balmoral Grist Mill is proud to be an Aira Access Partner.
We will update this page as we make improvements.